It’s the time of year where you start to count the number of classes left. Being a student, this was always exciting – a countdown until exams, and then freedom! Now, as a teacher, especially as one who won’t be coming back in the coming year, it’s definitely a time of reflection and appreciation.
My first year of teaching at Delta Secondary has been nothing short of an adventure; a roller coaster of the unexpected and jam-packed full of learning opportunities. What the students went through with me, who knows! I hope they had as much fun as I did.
I still remember my very first day. I don’t think any teacher ever forgets their very first day. Nervous and excited, I vividly recall standing at the front of the room in front of 31 unfamiliar faces and being introduced as their new teacher in the middle of September. They looked relieved to finally have a teacher after a slew of substitute teachers as their school year began, but at the same time looking upon me with questionable look.
So many months later, I look at the same faces and see young adults with amazing talents and abilities. I see faces with which I laughed along side with until I cried. Faces whose eyes lit up when they finally understood how to properly name a chemical compound and faces that rolled their eyes whenever they heard a corny joke of mine.
Teaching is nothing other than creating valuable relationships. The realization that my relationship with these kids will end next month is disheartening. However, I will take this not as the end but just the beginning and continue to look forward to many more opportunities to create just as many valuable relationships as this year.
Sachie,
ReplyDeleteYou're right about the importance of relationships in education. Healthy, positive teacher-student, teacher-teacher and teacher-parent relationships are the foundation upon which successful schools are built.
The fact that your early nerves have given way to laughter reflect the rapport that you have established with your students. I'm sure many of your students would echo similar sentiments.
The beauty of teaching is that despite all of the preparation one does, each day is unpredictable. Your experiences from a day, week, month and year continue to contribute to your professional growth. It is this ongoing growth and development that will be asset to you in the future and something that your students will benefit from.
Aaron